Sunday, November 20, 2011

Recent Crafts

If you know me at all, you know that I.Am.Not.A crafty person....at all!!! You would think that I might be since I have a degree in early childhood education, but you should have seen my art projects in college compared to other girls. Mine were hideous! You would also think I would be super cheery and peppy since I was once a pre-k teacher, but I am not. Maybe I totally missed my calling, hmmmm.




All that to say, I have been up to some things lately and thought I would share. I was introduced to pinterest and despise (jk) the person, ahem, Megan S. for showing me the web site. I had been hearing a lot about it, but read on a blog that if you don't have a lot of extra time, don't even go look at the site because you will be hooked. Well, I went, looked, signed up and now I am hooked!! Even though none of the following crafts are from pinterest, that web site has really motivated me to be more crafty.




My first craft is my new stocking hanger. We have never had a good place to put our stockings since we don't have a fire place. We have a pretty large entertainment center that has a great shelf to put one of those stocking hangers on, but Jeff and I aren't too big on those because they slide off the surface too easily and could cause a pretty good injury. So this year, I was determined to find something to do with the boys stockings. We had this wall hanging that was given to me a while back as a gift, but there was a certain picture on there that Jeff hated. It wasn't anything inappropriate, but he said the monkey looked like he was holding "something" ( I'm not going to say), but just take my word for it, Jeff hated it. As I looked at a few days ago, I thought how perfect it would be for three stockings. So I ran to Michael's, got some scrapbook paper and sparkly letters and created this....
If you look really closely, you will see that it's pretty crappy, but it's good enough for this year.







See, this is what I do. I have this awesome idea in my head, stay up late, am tired and rush through a project and then it turns out not near as cute as it was in my head.




My next project is posted for a friend on request. I had seen this idea shared by an old friend and thought that it was not only a cute idea, but a great idea, and I really wanted to do it. So, again, trying to put something together really fast, created this...........










.....Our Thanksgiving Tree for 2011 that looks like it has been through a hurricane, which could have possibly happened seeing that we are near the coast and have been through a hurricane (or maybe it was a tropical storm and it was really only Jeff who was here. I happened to go to Dallas that weekend and slept great!). I put this together in about 20 seconds and it is created with brown, paper lunch sacks. If anything, it does make my laugh every time I look at it because of how hideous it looks. My friend, Amy's, was muchmuchmuchmuch better looking than this one.



But the purpose of this tree, was/is to ask the boys each day until Thanksgiving, something they are thankful for. We put what they say on a "leaf" made from construction paper. I tried really hard not to prompt them to saying certain things. I really wanted it to be something that came to their minds. That is why some are off the wall, like, "pencils."



The other thing that I tried to encourage was them to not repeat something they had said the day before. I was okay with Joseph and Christian both being thankful for Dada, but I didn't want Joseph to say that twice. I plan on putting these in their "memory boxes" because I think it will be fun to look back at the things that they really liked at the time (which has been what they are thankful for...cars, fighter jets, lightning mcqueen and baseball).


(On the tree, I put the scripture, "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His love endures forever.")










Hope you have a wonderful holiday season!

No comments: